Aldergrove has been served by a community newspaper since 1957, but it was the summer of 1966 that Rudy and Inge Langmann purchased the Aldergrove Echo and renamed it the Aldergrove Star. The Langmann family, including son Kurt, continued to operate the Star until January 2001 when Rudy and Inge retired and sold the Star to Black Press of Victoria. Kurt Langmann continues to work as the Star's editor.
Aldergrove is one of the oldest settlements in the Fraser Valley, established by the Jackman and Shortreed families in the late 1800s. Today it is a pleasant mix of rural and suburban lifestyles, with a strong agricultural and commercial/retail base, and industrial growth in Aldergrove and Gloucester industrial parks.
There are about 13,000 residents in the suburban area of Aldergrove, straddling the Langley Township and Abbotsford City borders, and another 10,000 residents in the rural area between the Canada/US border and Fraser River, and Mount Lehman to 248 Street. The Star distributes about 11,000 copies weekly to homes in this area.
Aldergrove offers quality recreational facilities, including an ice arena and sportsfield parks, the region's only drive-in theatre, as well as some of the largest natural parklands within the GVRD and Township Parks system.
Your Community News Team