News

French fry fire sends two to hospital in Langley

Things got a bit crispy for a pair of people cooking some French fries on a stovetop in a home in Glen Valley on Tuesday.

Just after 3 p.m., Township firefighters were called to a home in the 8200 block of 264 Street after a grease fire in the kitchen.

Two from the home were taken to hospital with minor burns and smoke inhalation but will be OK, said assistant fire chief Bruce Ferguson.

The flames were contained to the kitchen but there was around $30,000 worth of damage, he said.

French fry fires on the stovetop are common.

"What happens is you heat up the oil and when you put in the fries, the oil splashes out and catches fire," said Ferguson.

Never put water on a grease fire.

Dump baking soda, or plant dirt on the fire.

Cover the flames with another pot if safe to do so.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Poll finds Lower Mainland voters ready to shake up city halls
 
Police say large election signs might have been factor in pedestrian collision
 
Homeless housing rezoning will move to public hearing
Two badly hurt while helping stranded driver
 
Plywood homeless cabins dismantled by city
 
Fog, navigation methods blamed for container ship grounding in Fraser River
Local charity joins fight against Ebola
 
Election 2014: Banman changes mind on mayoral meeting no-show
 
Coast Salish tribes gather for water ceremony before NEB hearings

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.