Several units of the Langley Township fire department responded to an early afternoon kitchen fire in the 25900 block of 56 Avenue in Aldergrove.

Aldergrove fire

No injuries reported after a pot caught fire on a stovetop.

Several units of the Langley Township fire department responded to an early afternoon kitchen fire in the 25900 block of 56 Avenue in Aldergrove.

A woman cooking a spicy dish did everything right when a stove top fire erupted in her kitchen on Monday afternoon.

Township fire was called to the home in the 25900 block of 56 Avenue around 1 p.m.

The woman was cooking when she was distracted by a phone call. When she returned to the kitchen, a pot on the stove had caught fire, said assistant fire chief Pat Walker.

The woman turned off the stove and put the lid on the pot to smother the blaze. She then closed the doors behind her and left the home.

“She did everything right and because of that, the fire was contained to the stove,” said Walker.

Township fire crews have attended to 722 calls for service since June 1, mainly brush and grass fires, but nine residential fires, mostly minor in nature.

Walker reminds people to also keep their barbecues away from vinyl siding when cooking.