Three charged with murder of Langley teen

Body of Nicholas Hannon found, arrests made in 2014 disappearance

Nicholas Hannon

The grieving father of Nicholas Hannon said the family has been “devastated” to learn the 19-year-old was the victim of murder.

Craig Hannon spoke Tuesday morning after police announced three people were arrested and charged on the long weekend.

“Until this weekend my family maintained a glimmer of hope that just maybe Nick would come barging through the front door and shout ‘I’m home’ (but) now we know that will never happen,” Hannon told reporters at a press briefing held by the regional Integrated Homicide Investigation team (IHIT).

“Nick is gone forever.”

IHIT Sgt. Jennifer Pound said the body of the missing teen, who disappeared Feb. 26, 2014, was discovered in a heavily wooded area near Mission over the long weekend.

An autopsy has been scheduled.

Connor Angus Campbell, 21, Bradley Michael Flaherty, 20, and Keith William Tankard, 20, were arrested over the long weekend and appeared in Surrey provincial court Tuesday morning charged with first-degree murder.

Sgt. Pound said the three accused were “acquaintances, if not friends” of Hannon.

Investigators believe Hannon died as a result of a conflict that “turned violent, and ultimately deadly,” Pound said.

Craig Hannon said the three accused had been welcomed into the family home on many occasions.

“We are devastated and we feel betrayed.”

“Three young men who were welcomed in our home on many, many occasions have been charged to the highest degree with taking the life of a wonderful brother, a loving uncle and an incredible son,” he said.

“Never again will we watch him dangle (fake out) a goalie and go forehand-backhand,” Hannon said

“Never again will he lovingly piggyback his beautiful niece up and down the stairs and all around the house. Never again will I be able to hug him and say ‘I love you buddy.’”

His son had a smile that would “light up a room” Hannon said.

“Now, the room won’t be so bright. We miss him dearly.”

Nicholas Hannon was last seen by his younger brother at their Walnut Grove home the evening of Feb. 26, 2014.

The next day, his abandoned vehicle was found in the 10400 block of McKinnon Crescent at Derby Reach Park.

At the time, RCMP called his disappearance suspicious and his family offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to his safe return.

 

– with files from Monique Tamminga and CTV News