Two more men charged with murder conspiracy in gang war

Alleged UN Gang members accused of plotting to kill Bacon Brothers in 2008-09

Integrated Homicide Investigation Team Supt. Dwayne McDonald holds a photo of Conor D'Monte

Two more alleged UN Gang members are now charged with conspiring to murder the Bacon brothers and their Red Scorpion gang associates during what police say was an all-out gangland war in 2008-09.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team announced the murder conspiracy charges against 32-year-old Troy Tran, of Vancouver, and another unnamed 31-year-old man, whose identify has been withheld.

They’re accused of plotting with other UN gangsters to take out a series of rivals, including the Red Scorpions’ Kevin LeClair, killed at a grocery store parking lot in Langley in 2009, and Jonathan Barber, slain in Burnaby in 2008 by mistake because he was installing a stereo in a car owned by a Bacon brother.

The two men are also charged with conspiring to murder the three leaders of the opposing gang – Jonathan, Jarrod and Jamie Bacon.

The latest arrests came after police raided 13 locations across the Lower Mainland and in Calgary Jan. 22, seizing a stolen 9mm handgun, drugs and trafficking equipment.

Police have now laid murder conspiracy charges against seven people in the ongoing investigation.

IHIT officials say there have been 16 convictions so far against members of the UN Gang in connection with the series of shootings, attempted murders and murders across the Lower Mainland in 2008 and 2009 that prosecutors have described as a ruthless “human safari” that put the public at great risk.

“Much of the violence culminated with brazen public executions, shootings and subsequent retaliations,” said Chief Supt. Kevin Hackett, who heads the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of B.C.

Seven years later, he told reporters, police investigation techniques and practices continue to evolve and witnesses in some cases become more willing to talk – even gangsters willing to leave gang life.

“We along with our partners will be relentless in our pursuit of those who pose the greatest risk to public safety,” Hackett said.

“The passage of time should not provide them or their associates with comfort or confidence.”

Hackett said a Canada-wide warrant remains in effect for Conor D’Monte, the alleged leader of the UN Gang, on similar murder conspiracy charges.

Jonathan Bacon was killed in 2011. His two brothers are in jail awaiting trial on various charges.