A barbecue is believed to have started the fire that destroyed this Langley house.

Updated: Fire rips through Langley home, sends four to hospital

People gathered at the home for a barbecue when the propane tank exploded, causing the massive blaze Sunday.

  • Mon Jul 25th, 2016 7:00am
  • News

Several people were taken to hospital with burns after a propane tank exploded, causing a fire to rip through a Langley home in the 5800 block of 242 Street on Sunday.

It’s believed around nine people had gathered at the home for a barbecue.

There are reports someone tripped over a heating element on the back deck, sparking a fire that ignited the barbecue propane tank, causing the explosion.

Teresa DeWolff said her husband was one of the first to see the massive fire after 911 was called.

They took pictures of the flames engulfing the home.

“It was absolutely horrific,” DeWolff said.

Township fire chief Steve Gamble said two people suffered severe burns and two others were also burned. All four were taken to Royal Columbian Hospital.

Gamble said when the first fire truck arrived, the home was already 50 per cent gone.

“There was a delay in being called to this fire but wer’e not sure why so we are looking into that,” he said. Another problem was the neighbourhood has no hydrants so they had to truck in water.

Because this was a dead end street, the tanker trucks had troubles getting in and out of the area.

“There were a lot of looky-loos, so that caused some problems for us getting our trucks in and out. So we hope to make the public aware to clear an area for us.”

Fire crews were watching the neighbouring forest carefully. Across the street from the home stands 30 acres of heavily treed forest. And the home next door is separated by a large hedge.

Luckily there was little wind at the time.

Fire crews managed to contain the fire but the home is a total loss, said Gamble. It’s unknown how many people lived in the home.