Vets seeing more dogs on drugs

Langley vet says she treats at least one dog a month that ingests pot

In the last couple years, veterinarians have seen an increase in the number of dogs that have ingested harmful drugs, mainly marijuana.

“We have seen a notable increase in the last few years of dogs coming to the hospital having ingested pot. We get at least one per month,” said Langley veterinarian, Dr. Renee Ferguson of Mountainview Veterinary Hospital.

“Unfortunately, it is becoming common that dogs eat pot or drugs while out on a walk or at a park,” she said.

“The most important message from vets is that if you think your pet has consumed any drugs, either recreational or your prescription, get them to your vet as soon as possible and be 100 per cent honest about what you think they’ve ingested,” said Ferguson.

“We are not here to judge or lecture you or contact authorities, all we want to do is help your pet.”

The warning comes after a Surrey pet owner rushed her senior dog to hospital because it had a serious reaction after ingesting cocaine and marijuana at Tynehead Park July 28.

“Marijuana is not a major attractant for all dogs, but certainly dogs that like to sniff stuff out and eat it are at a much higher risk of ingesting it,” said Ferguson.

That Surrey dog owner is warning others.


Hours after a trip to a popular north Surrey park, Will Cooper’s 15-year-old shepherd cross Bran suffered a drug overdose.

Cooper shared his story in the hope another furry friend doesn’t have to suffer like his has.

“Last night, I went on a walk with my wife and my two dogs in the Tynehead Park area of Surrey, B.C. This was a great place to take them, as it was a nice shady area with access to the river and streams.…. We did not notice the effects until later that evening,” Cooper wrote in a Facebook post, describing his “fury” over what transpired.

Bran soon suffered what they thought was a seizure, “going from practically comatose to alert and wide awake almost at the flick of a switch. One nervous night later and we took him to the vet this morning,”

“Samples were taken and we find out that he has a large amount of marijuana and cocaine in his system.”

At Mountainview Veterinary Hospital, staff can quickly test for THC or other drugs in the dog’s system.

Mountainview has provided a list of symptoms that may indicate a pet has consumed marijuana:

• Anxiety, panting, and agitation *however* in some pets it results in significant lethargy bordering on unconsciousness;

• Impaired balance (staggering, stumbling falling);

• Drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea may occur;

• Some pets may lose bowel and bladder control;

• Extreme response to sensory stimulation such as noises, movement, light. Their response may be trembling, jerking of the head or their legs; and, in severe cases the pet may have a reaction similar to a seizure.

Just Posted

Rainfall warning issued across Lower Mainland into the weekend

50 to 70 mm of rain expected to fall starting overnight Friday and into Sunday morning

Husband pleads guilty in relation to 2009 killing of Kulwinder Gill

Abbotsford woman died in hit-and-run conspiracy

Crash closes 264 Street in both directions

Crash closes 264 Street during afternoon commute on Thursday

Langley schools win three Fraser Valley banners

Langley Christian, Mountain and Walnut Grove take top spot in respective categories at cross-country championships

Raymond Lee Caissie gets life in prison for murdering Surrey teen in 2014

Judge numbers Caissie among ‘violent merciless men without a conscience’

VIDEO: ‘Lyle the singing pig’ searching for home

SPCA say the pig is ‘not opera-ready’

B.C. search groups mobilize for missing mushroom picker

Searchers from across the province look for Frances Brown who has been missing since Oct. 14.

Search for missing B.C. man a race against winter weather

David Jeff of Williams Lake was last seen in Kamloops during the chaotic wildfire evacuations

Man steals police car, goes for a ‘slow’ ride

Mission RCMP say the motive of the theft is unknown

Dodgers punch ticket to World Series

This will be the first time the Los Angles Dodgers have made it to the World Series since 1988.

Surf group winning the war on plastic bags

The Tofino Co-op will no longer provide plastic bags, following in the footsteps of the Ucluelet location that already made the change earlier this year.

All three victims identified in Fernie arena ammonia leak

Wayne Hornquist and Lloyd Smith were from Fernie and Jason Podloski from Turner Valley, Alta

VIDEO: Body discovered at scene of dumpster fire behind Langley City mall

Area behind furniture store taped off after firefighters find deceased woman while battling blaze

5 to start your day

Sentencing in murder of Surrey teen expected, Maple Ridge mayor to step away from politics and more

Most Read