• Audition: Surrey Little Theatre recasting a role for its autumn show Social Security. Looking for a man, 40-50s for the comedy. Contact ASAP: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Backstage volunteer spots also open.
to Sept. 1
• Our Living Languages exhibit: Features First People’s Voices in B.C., runs at Langley Centennial Museum, 9135 King St.
• Spoonful: Peter Sarganis spoon carving exhibition runs July 31 to Sept. 1 at the Fort Gallery. Info: fortgallery.ca.
Friday, Aug. 30
• Movie in the Park: A Dog’s Way Home starts at dusk in Douglas Park, 20550 Douglas Cres. Bring blankets, lawn chairs, and picnic baskets for a free outdoor movie. Info: city.langley.bc.ca/events.
• Black and White Gala for sick kids: On Aug. 30 from 7 to 11 p.m. at Hyde Canyon Estate (24455 61st Ave.). A gala benefits Give Kids The World, which provides a vacation and resort experience for families with children with life-threatening illnesses. Global TV’s Barry Deley will host and live entertainment is by Red Velvet Music. Tickets are $35 at the door.
Aug. 30 to Sept. 1
• Summerset: Music and arts festival at the Fort Langley National Historic Site Aug. 30 and 31, and Sept. 1. Performing artists (Jesse Roper, The Trews, Kim Mitchell, April Wine, Paul Brandt, Washboard Union, Kadooh, and more), activities, art installations, food, and drink. Tickets: start at $69 per day to $189 for three days. Info: summersetfestival.ca.
Saturday, Aug. 31
• Author: Carmen Aguirre is at the Indigo Langley store 1 to 3 p.m. on Aug. 31.
Sunday, Sept. 1
• Taubah Taubah: An evening of bhangra starts at 8 p.m. on Sept. 1 in the Cascades Casino. Dress code: no casual wear. No minors. Tickets: $15 to $25 at evenbrite.ca.
Monday, Sept. 2
• Torchlight Festival: Christian music festival is 3 to 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 2 at the Fort Langley National Historic Site. Tickets range from $60 to $170. All ages welcome. Info: torchlightfestival.com.
Tuesday, Sept. 3
• Surrey Fiddlers: The next dance is 1 to 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 3 in the Don Christian Recreation Centre, 6220 184th St. $4 per person.
Saturday, Sept. 7
• Langley Good Times Cruise-In: From 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 7, downtown Aldergrove is turned into a massive all-volunteer auto show with manner of makes and from all eras. Proceeds donated to local charities. Info: langleycruise-in.com.
Friday, Sept. 13
• Movie in the Park starts at dusk in Douglas Park, 20550 Douglas Cres. Bring blankets, lawn chairs, and picnic baskets for a free outdoor movie. Info: city.langley.bc.ca/events.
• Boppin’ in the Park You’ve Gotta Have Friends invites everyone to a free evening concert and dance part 5 to 6 p.m. on Sept. 13 in McBurney Plaza. Performing is Six Gun Romeo.
Saturday, Sept. 14
• Second annual Mayor’s Gala with the Township of Langley Firefighters Charitable Association being held at Standard Aero, Langley. Tickets on sale at: https://tlfcs.org/mayors-gala-tickets/.
• West Fine Art Show at Glass House Estate Winery, 23449 0 Ave. Info at: www.westart.ca
Programs are free unless noted otherwise.
• Aldergrove Library, 26770 29th Ave., 604-856-6415
• Brookswood Library, 20045 40th Ave., 604-534-7055
• City of Langley Library, 20399 Douglas Cres., 604-514-2850
– Babytime, Mondays, 2 to 2:30 p.m.
– Storytime, Thursdays, 10:30 to 11:00 a.m.
– LEGO Club, Mondays, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
– Close Knit Langley, Tuesdays, 2:30 to 5 p.m.
– Scrabble Club, Wednesdays, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
• Fort Langley Library, 9167 Glover Rd., 604-888-0722
• Muriel Arnason Library, #130 20338 65th Ave., 604-532-3590
• Murrayville Library, 22071 48th Ave., 604-533-0339
– Collector Club meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Thursday of the month (except in July and August). Chat with other collectors of items new and old. Learn about community resources and more. Free.
• Walnut Grove Library, 8889 Walnut Grove Dr., 604-882-0410
• Aldergrove Telephone Museum, 3190 271st St., 604-857-0555, www.telephonemuseum.ca
• B.C. Farm Museum, 9131 King St., 604-888-2273, www.bcfma.com
• Canadian Museum of Flight, 5333 216th St. hangar 3, 604-888-3992, www.canadianflight.org
• Langley Centennial Museum, 9135 King St., 604-888-3922
• Fort Langley National Historic Site 23433 Mavis Ave., 604-513-4777
• Heritage CN Station: See the 1915 station, the heritage gardens, and vintage rail cars from noon to 4 p.m. weekends. Info: www.langleyheritage.ca. Volunteers needed Saturday and Sunday.
• Langley Memorial Hospital Museum: in Michaud House, 5202 204th St.
• Surrey Museum 17710 56A Ave., 604-592-6956 surrey.ca/heritage
Out and about
• Brookswood Senior Centre, 19899 36th Ave., offers lots of activities:
– Square and Round Dancing, Tuesday (plus) 7 to 9:30 p.m. and Wednesday (beginner/mainstream) 7 to 9:30 p.m. (September to May)
– Beginner line dancing, Thursday 1:45 to 2:45 p.m.
– Beginner Plus, Thursday, 2:45 to 4 p.m.
– Intermediate line dancing, Thursday 4 to 5:45 p.m.
– Synergy advanced line dancing, Sunday, 12:30 to 3:45 p.m., and Thursday, 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. High improver intermediate class, Thursday 8 to 10 p.m.
• Surrey Square Wheelers: Wednesday: beginner/mainstream level 7 p.m. $5. New dancers receive three free evenings. At the Brookswood Seniors Centre, 19899 36th Ave. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, 604-534-0863 or 604-916-0653, surrey.squaredance.bc.ca.
• Langley Garden Club: Regular meetings are the second Monday each month at the United Churches of Langley (formerly Sharon United), 216th Street and 48th Avenue at 7 p.m. with parlor show, speaker and refreshments. Drop-ins are welcome. Info: langleygardenclub.com.
• Port Kells Art Club: Offers classes. All levels of experience welcome. In oils and acrylics. Annual membership: $30. The club holds two art shows annually. Meets September to June at 20701 Fraser Hwy. Info: Susan Black, 604-592-2357 or email@example.com.
• Fraser Valley Symphony: Positions available (violin, viola, and string bass), but other interested musicians are invited to inquire. Grade 8 RCM or equivalent required. Rehearsals are Monday 7:15 p.m. at Abbotsford Traditional School. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Langley Concert Band accepts new members (teens and adults) with at least one year of musical experience and meets Mondays 7-9 p.m. in the R.E. Mountain Secondary band room, 7755 202A St. Info: email@example.com or 604-513-8927. All instruments welcome. Musicians must have a minimum one year playing their instrument and a love of music.
• Senior Opus Singers: No experience is necessary, only a love of singing. The group does familiar tunes from days gone by and meets Tuesday afternoons at the Renaissance Retirement Resort, 6676 203 St., at 2 to 3:30 p.m. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Scottish Country Dancing: The first lesson is free. Check out the lively dancing. No partner necessary. Beginners welcome. The group meets Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Fort Langley Community Hall. Info: Rebecca, 604-530-0500 or email@example.com.
• Creative Compass Society: Open mike events every second Wednesday at Maria’s Gelato, Fort Langley. Music starts at 3 to 7 p.m. Myles of Smiles is dedicated to musician Myles Seib who died of a brain tumour at 29. Performers wanted for upcoming events. Info: www.creative-compass.com.
• Langley Community Chorus: Join the 80-voice choir that rehearses Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. The chorus is seeking male tenors. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• South Fraser Pipes and Drums: The group meets Wednesdays 7 to 9 p.m. at Coghlan Hall. Potential members welcome. Info: Nancy, 604-782-9975.
• Music@Midweek: Free concerts are at noon in the Langley auditorium of Kwantlen Polytechnic University.
• Langley Quilters’ Guild: Members meet on the fourth Wednesday, except in December, at the George Preston Recreation Centre. The day meeting is 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The evening meeting is 7:15 to 9 p.m. Info: Kathleen, 604-597-6414, or www.langleyquiltersguild.com.
• Langley Camera Club: Meets 7 p.m. at Fort Langley Community Hall, 9167 Glover Rd., on 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wed. of each month. All levels of photographers and newcomers welcome. Info: 604-532-9212.
• Opus One Women’s Choir: Accepting new members. No audition or experience required, only the love of singing! If singing is for you, Opus One Women’s Choir is sure to make your heart sing! Rehearsals every Wednesday at R.E. Mountain Secondary School choir room. 7:15-9:15 p.m. Info: email@example.com.
• Square dancing: Adult beginner classes are at the Brookswood Seniors’ Centre, 19899 36th Ave., 1:45 to 2:45 p.m. Info.: 604-838-8821, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.surrey.squaredance.bc.ca.
• Langley Writers’ Guild: Meets 10 a.m.-noon on the first, second, and fourth Thursdays of the month at St. Joseph’s Hall, 20676 Fraser Hwy. All genres. Meets September to June. The group will consider one evening meeting per month if there is interest. Info: Deanna, 604-530-0951.
• Central Valley Community Pipe Band: The band is accepting new pipers and drummers of all levels. Meets Wednesday evenings at Coghlan Community Hall. An 8-week beginners’ program will be offered in the new year. Contact Nancy Gleeson (email@example.com or 604-782-9975).
• Men’s a cappella group: New members welcome to the group that meets Thursdays, 7-10 p.m. at 20525 72nd Ave. Info: Gord, 604-530-4795.
• South Fraser Community Band – Intermediate band looking for new members (Surrey-White Rock-Langley-Aldergrove-Abbotsford). Meet in the music room of Elgin Park Secondary School, 13484 24th Ave., Surrey. Rehearsals are from 7:45 to 9:45 p.m. Info: President Bob Butula at 604-502-0456.
• Partners Bridge – Every Friday except the second Friday of each month, at 7 p.m. at Aldergrove’s OAP Hall. Cost is $2.
Old-time dances: OAP hall, 3015 273rd St., has Saturday dances from 1 to 4 p.m. $6, includes snacks and tea/coffee.
• Guys ’N Gals Square Dance Club – Dance classes every Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. at the OAP Hall, 3015 273rd St. The first three classes are free to new dancers, $7 at the door.