The Township of Langley won the annual lawn bowling battle with the City of Langley on the weekend.
No one is sure exactly what the score was, but the Saturday (June 17) victory marks a return of the trophy from the City, where it’s reportedly been displayed in the mayor’s office for the last year, to the Township.
The annual grudge match between representatives of both communities has been going on about as long as the Langley Lawn Bowling Club has been at it’s Langley City home at 20471 54th Ave., at the south end of Douglas Park.
The club was founded in 1979 and has been in operation since 1982, when the Douglas Park lawn bowling green was built by the City of Langley, with funding from the Langley Rotary Club and the provincial government of the day.
Langley City and the Township of Langley were one municipality until residents of what was known as “Innes Corners” split away from the Township in 1955 to become the City.