Business group gears up for HST vote

Independent Contractors and Businesses Association president Philip Hochstein

The business organization that helped bankroll the defence against the first anti-harmonized sales tax recall campaign isn’t doing the same for the three other petition drives now underway.

The Independent Contractors and Businesses Association of B.C. donated the largest amount of any participant in the Oak Bay-Gordon Head recall, which ended in February with just over half the signatures needed to unseat local B.C. Liberal MLA Ida Chong.

Recall petitions have also been launched against Comox Valley MLA Don McRae, Kamloops-North Thompson MLA Terry Lake and Maple Ridge-Mission MLA Marc Dalton. But Philip Hochstein, president of the ICBA, says he won’t be pitching for those recalls.

“Those are going to fail spectacularly, so we don’t think we need to be involved,” Hochstein said in an interview Wednesday.

Instead, Hochstein said his and other business organizations need to campaign to persuade people to support the HST in a province-wide referendum expected June 24. Former premier Bill Vander Zalm’s Fight HST organization is gearing up for that vote, having forced the government to hold it by passing B.C.’s first-ever initiative petition last year.

“I think the business community failed the first time around, when Bill Vander Zalm led his band of merry men, and I don’t think they’re going to make that mistake again,” Hochstein said. “I think they have to be actively involved and get our message out, and ICBA will be part of that.”

Recall financing documents released by Elections BC show the ICBA spent $43,124 on radio and newspaper advertising, polling and a website to oppose the Oak Bay-Gordon Head effort.

That was more than the $28,000 spent by Chong’s own anti-recall campaign, financed with the help of a $25,000 loan from the B.C. Liberal Party. About $12,000 of that went to advertising, $8,300 went to pay salary and benefits and $4,000 on office rent and expenses.

Michael Hayes, the local recall organizer for Oak Bay-Gordon Head, reported his largest donation from the Ambulance Paramedics of B.C. That included more than $7,400 for the services of an office manager, plus a $500 cash donation.

The paramedics’ union was legislated back to work with a three per cent raise in late 2009, after a long and bitter strike that sparked demonstrations against Premier Gordon Campbell as he campaigned for re-election.

The Victoria Labour Council also chipped in $500 toward the effort to unseat Chong.

Just Posted

Van fire sends plume of black smoke into sky above Willowbrook

Vehicle a charred shell in fire that slowed Friday commute home

Police investigate apparent impaired-driving crash

Incident took place in Abbotsford on Thursday night

#MeToo at work: How reporting sexual harassment works – and how it doesn’t

British Columbians have four options to report harassment or assault, but none of them are easy

Langley Rotarians work for clinics in Kenya

Local Rotary Clubs are asking locals to think of others at Christmastime.

Langley realtor uses Monopoly tournament to add to refugee group’s community chest

A fundraising tournament could be the start of an annual tradition.

VIDEO: Average Canadian food bill to rise by $348 in 2018

Atlantic Canada and B.C. will see the most increases for consumers

Family Christmas fun at Aldergrove’s Loft Country farm

The Loft Country children’s horse camp in Aldergrove is celebrating Christmas in a new way this year

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

VIDEO: 3 months later, rescued sea lion released back into ocean

The young animal was found in Campbell River three months ago

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

UPDATED: Train collides with car in Maple Ridge

Mother and child both uninjured, track cleared at 11 a.m.

Accused B.C. drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

VIDEO: Pedestrian struck by vehicle caught on security camera

Incident points to danger on the roads not only in low light but also in bright sunshine

Most Read