While car thefts may be down in Langley, thieves are still busy breaking into vehicles to steal what’s inside.
Vehicles parked at Campbell Valley Park has been a consistent target for thieves, said Langley RCMP Cpl. Holly Marks.
In the last week alone, 37 vehicles were broken into in Langley. The week prior to that it was around 50.
Another area hit hard is Walnut Grove, followed by Langley City, she said.
These thefts are not limited to the dark hours of the night so it’s best to be vigilant all the time, said Marks.
“Please do everything you can to save yourself the time, money and inconvenience of theft from your vehicle. Just by parking in your driveway, you cut your chances of having your vehicle broken into by half. Really — you don’t want to give it away,” said Marks, adding that leaving loose change in a vehicle can be costly.
Leaving money in the console can cost you in time and money, to repair damage to your vehicle caused during a theft, she adds.
Police are offering the following tips:
• Park in a secure, well lit area
• If you can – park in your garage or in your driveway
• Wait for the garage door to close behind you
• Keep your garage door opener out of sight
• If you’re parking on the street outside your residence, consider taking your garage door opener with you
• Use an anti-theft device, or an immobilizer if your car has one
• Remove all valuables, including your keys
• Put anything that might tempt a thief in the trunk – even empty shopping bags
• Always lock all your doors and close your windows – even if you will only be away from your vehicle for a minute
• Never assume your vehicle won’t attract a thief
• Avoid a build-up of old insurance decals on your license plate.