(Flickr photo)

David Suzuki joins fight for Lower Mainland park

World-renowned environmentalist will attend rally opposing plans to build road through park

David Suzuki is joining the fight to stop a road from being build through a Surrey park.

The well-known enviromentalist will be the featured guest of a rally next month organized by a group called “Save Hawthorne Park.”

After delivering a 5,000-name petition to city council last month, opponents were given until Sept. 22 to collect more than 30,000 names in order to halt the project.

Suzuki is set to speak to the importance of environmental rights, as well as the council’s “failure to live up to its commitments to the Blue Dot movement,” a release states.

The city signed a declaration last year recognizing residents’ “Right to a Healthy Environment” after hearing from the Surrey Blue Dot group the previous summer.

Led by the David Suzuki Foundation, the Blue Dot movement is a national effort to amend the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to include the right to a healthy environment. The group focuses on getting municipalities to pass declarations respecting the right of their citizens to live in a healthy environment.

Grant Rice with “Save Hawthorne Park” said he could “draw up a better plan on the back of a napkin in 15 minutes” than what the city is proposing.

“And despite what the Mayor says, this is not just about Hawthorne Park,” Rice added. “If council is successful in using the AAP to remove park dedications, it can do it anywhere. If all of Surrey doesn’t send a strong message to council and sign these forms, we’ve not only lost the battle – we’ve lost the war.”

The group claims the Alternate Approval Process being used in Hawthorne Park contradicts the city’s commitment to the environment.

Mayor Linda Hepner last month defended the project in a letter to the Surrey Now-Leader, saying there has been misinformation.

Since a meeting in June to collect information from the public, the city says it has made changes to the proposal.

amy.reid@surreynowleader.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Thousands of dollars of stolen rice traced to Langley warehouse

Police raid seizes $75,000 in ‘commercial scale’ theft case

VIDEO: Man collapses on Langley street

Multiple police, fire and ambulance units responded to incident outside Timms community centre

Langley thieves make off with $10,000 worth of remote control cars

Police are also investigating the theft of a pair of commemorative bridge plaques

19 times on 19th birthday: Aldergrove teen goes from crutches to conquering Abby Grind

Kaden Van Buren started at midnight on Saturday. By 3 p.m. he had completed the trek 19 times.

Cautious driving urged during South Langley toad migration

Thousands of toads are expected to hatch and head into the woods

Recent surge in COVID-19 cases not unexpected amid Phase Three of reopening: B.C.’s top doc

Keep circles small, wear masks and be aware of symptoms, Dr. Bonnie Henry says

UPDATE: Mission spray park closed after children suffer swollen eyes, burns

Mission RCMP are investigating incident that injured several children

B.C. NDP changing WorkSafeBC regulations to respond to COVID-19

Employers say reclassifying coronavirus could be ‘ruinous’

Baby raccoon rescued from 10-foot deep drainage pipe on Vancouver Island

‘Its cries were loud, pitiful and heartbreaking,’ Saanich animal control officer says

Statistical flaws led to B.C. wolf cull which didn’t save endangered caribou as estimated

Study finds statistical flaws in an influential 2019 report supporting a wolf cull

Surrey’s first Ethics Commissioner brings ‘objectivity’ to the job

Vancouver lawyer Reece Harding is Surrey’s first Ethics Commissioner, also a first for B.C.

Windows broken, racist graffiti left on Okanagan home

Family says nothing like this has happened since they moved to Summerland in 1980s

Professional basketball in Canada begins return to action with COVID-19 testing

Abbotsford’s Fraser Valley Bandits, six other CEBL teams arrive in Ontario for Summer Series

B.C. man who went by ‘Doctor Ray Gaglardi’ charged with sex assault of teenage boys

The man, 75, is accused of assaulting teenage boys he met through Coquitlam-area churches

Most Read