French fry fire sends two to hospital in Langley

Minor burns from grease fire in kitchen of Glen Valley home.

  • Jul. 29, 2014 11:00 a.m.

Things got a bit crispy for a pair of people cooking some French fries on a stovetop in a home in Glen Valley on Tuesday.

Just after 3 p.m., Township firefighters were called to a home in the 8200 block of 264 Street after a grease fire in the kitchen.

Two from the home were taken to hospital with minor burns and smoke inhalation but will be OK, said assistant fire chief Bruce Ferguson.

The flames were contained to the kitchen but there was around $30,000 worth of damage, he said.

French fry fires on the stovetop are common.

“What happens is you heat up the oil and when you put in the fries, the oil splashes out and catches fire,” said Ferguson.

Never put water on a grease fire.

Dump baking soda, or plant dirt on the fire.

Cover the flames with another pot if safe to do so.

Just Posted

Singing supermarket staff belt out complaints in Langley show

Langley Arts Council presents Confessions of a Grocery Store Clerk

Aldergrove dog and trainer audition for America’s Got Talent

Dancing duo raise bipolar awareness in tribute to afflicted wife

Remaining grocers in Aldergrove welcoming new customers

Safeway’s May closure coincides with major changes in other stores

Aldergrove envisions what the Valley could look like through UBC students’ blueprints

‘Why hasn’t this already happened?’: Interurban rail meeting pushes for transit past 276 Street

VIDEO: ‘Avengers: Endgame’ to be re-released with new footage

‘Avatar’ holds global box office record at $2.788 billion, while ‘Endgame’ stands at $2.743 billion…

B.C. teen killed by falling tree near Victoria

Second youth also injured in freak incident during field trip at Camp Barnard near Sooke

Elias Pettersson wins Calder Trophy as NHL’s top rookie

Vancouver forward first Canuck to win award since Pavel Bure in 1992

FVRD chair calls B.C. incineration plan for Philippines waste ‘disturbing’

Metro Vancouver ‘uniquely capable’ of safely disposing of waste coming back to Canada, say officials

VIDEO: Acknowledging skeptics, finance minister vows to build Trans Mountain project

Bill Morneau said he recognizes ‘huge amount of anxiety’ in Calgary over future of oil and gas sector

Shovels could be in the ground on Trans Mountain by September, CEO says

Ian Anderson points to weeks likely required for NEB to reinstate 2016 regulatory record

Scorpion gives birth after hitching ride in B.C. woman’s luggage

A Vancouver woman inadvertently brought the animal home from a trip to Cuba

RCMP allows officers to grow beards

Members can now wear beards and goatees, as long as they’re neatly groomed

Girl, 10, poisoned by carbon monoxide at B.C. campsite could soon return home

Lucille Beaurain died and daughter Micaela Walton, 10, was rushed to B.C. Children’s Hospital on May 18

Most Read