French fry fire sends two to hospital in Langley

Minor burns from grease fire in kitchen of Glen Valley home.

  • Jul. 29, 2014 11:00 a.m.

Things got a bit crispy for a pair of people cooking some French fries on a stovetop in a home in Glen Valley on Tuesday.

Just after 3 p.m., Township firefighters were called to a home in the 8200 block of 264 Street after a grease fire in the kitchen.

Two from the home were taken to hospital with minor burns and smoke inhalation but will be OK, said assistant fire chief Bruce Ferguson.

The flames were contained to the kitchen but there was around $30,000 worth of damage, he said.

French fry fires on the stovetop are common.

“What happens is you heat up the oil and when you put in the fries, the oil splashes out and catches fire,” said Ferguson.

Never put water on a grease fire.

Dump baking soda, or plant dirt on the fire.

Cover the flames with another pot if safe to do so.

Just Posted

VIDEO: Langley realtor builds holiday party for kids

Realtor Matthew Rufh hosted a gingerbread house-building party for the Langley Boys and Girls Club.

Giants defenceman Byram headed to NHL prospects game

The young player is following in the footsteps of former Giant Ty Ronning.

Langley Rams receiver inks with BC Lions

Jevon Cottoy joined the Rams this season and now has a multi-year contract with the Lions.

UPDATE: Heavy rainfall, strong winds in forecast for Lower Mainland

Heavy rains, snow expected till Friday morning

McGregor Says: Shopping husbands will survive

Columnist Jim McGregor offers a little advise to those husbands required to go Christmas shopping.

Omar Khadr wants changes to bail conditions

‘My life is held in suspension’, says the former Guantanamo Bay detainee

Lions announce seven members of coaching staff not coming back for 2019

The operational moves come two days after the Lions announced DeVone Claybrooks as the team’s new head coach

Christmas fun at Aldergrove Library: VIDEO & PHOTOS

Youngsters enjoyed decorating a Christmas tree with their homemade craft decorations

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Kodiaks avenge themselves against Pilots: ACTION PHOTOS

Aldergrove and Abbotsford Junior B hockey teams tie game at 5-5

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

Metro Vancouver mayors vote to ‘develop’ $1.65B in Fraser Highway SkyTrain plans

Surrey will have to ‘compensate’ for the $56 million already spent on light rail

Most Read