A 39-year-old Langley man is behind bars, accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting the same woman two times in the span of a week in May 2014.
William John Bassett Jr. has been charged with two counts of sexual assault and one count each of kidnapping and unlawful confinement.
The Brookswood man was arrested and charged on Dec. 4 and remains in custody, with his next court appearance Jan. 23.
Three others have been charged in connection with the second kidnapping and sexual assault, including two women from the same family.
On May 17, 2014, Langley RCMP responded to a sexual assault where the victim had been confined overnight. She was able to escape her captor and contact police. She identified her attacker and police allege Bassett is responsible for these acts.
Bassett was arrested at the time, charged and released with conditions to have no contact with the victim.
A week later on May 25, the same victim was reported missing to police.
She was located by Langley RCMP two days later and said she had been kidnapped and held against her will.
“The victim showed obvious signs of a physical beating and stated she had been sexually assaulted a second time,” said Cpl. Holly Marks.
She told police a number of people had taken part in the kidnapping itself as well as the confinement.
Bassett is alleged to be the perpetrator of this sexual assault as well.
“Investigations such as this are extremely complex in nature and take a significant emotional toll on the victim and witnesses. It is important to recognize that the police work very closely with these individuals throughout the investigations to ensure their safety,” said Marks.
“Investigators worked and continue to work very closely with this victim to ensure her safety as charges make their way through the courts. Simultaneously, investigators work to address any specific needs witnesses may have.”
Bassett is currently in custody on unrelated charges, alleging he kidnapped a man and held him for some time in Surrey. In that case, he is also charged with obstructing justice, alleging he was intimating a witness in another case.
Bassett, who graduated from a Langley high school, has a lengthy criminal history and spent seven months in jail for forcible confinement, uttering threats and obstructing a police officer in 2005.
He was charged with aggravated assault and assault causing bodily harm as well as convicted of of fear of injury to another person in Surrey in 2009. He posted $30,000 bail in 2013 after being charged with unlawful confinement and assault causing bodily harm.
Also charged in relation to the kidnapping and confinement of the victim on May 24 last year is Andreas Bronk, 26, who is charged with kidnapping. Bronk is currently in custody on unrelated charges in connection to a home invasion in Langley City in Sept. 2014.
Charlene Mae Wald, age 43, is charged with kidnapping and assault and Alisha Diane Wald, 21, is also charged with kidnapping
Both Alisha and Charlene Wald were able to post bail and appear next on Jan. 23.
Langley detachment exhausted a significant amount of resources and investigative techniques to collect the evidence necessary to submit to Crown Counsel for charge approval, Marks said.
“These types of investigations are critical to address and get before the courts. The actions alleged in these charges are an affront to the fabric of our societal standards,” said Langley RCMP’s officer in charge Supt. Murray Power.