Undated Google photo of Willoughby Walk apartments in Langley. (Google Street View)

Undated Google photo of Willoughby Walk apartments in Langley. (Google Street View)

Lunch box on stove ignites apartment fire in Willoughby, 3 occupants displaced

No injuries were reported

A Willoughby resident left their lunch box on an active stove burner when they left their apartment Wednesday afternoon, igniting a fire and prompting a response from the Township of Langley Fire Department.

Firefighters arrived at the Willoughby Walk apartments on 20839 78B Ave. around 1 p.m. to find smoke in the hallway and suite.

“The occupant had placed a plastic lunch box container on the stove and went out,” said Dale Steeple, assistant fire chief with the Township.

“The stove was on, the item caught on fire and spread to the cabinets. Crews arrived to smoke in the hallway and suite, but the sprinkler system had suppressed the fire.”

READ MORE: Sneeze likely to blame for driver crashing car into Walnut Grove home, RCMP say

After extinguishing the fire, crews turned off the sprinkler system and began to remove smoke to prevent further water damage, Steeple explained.

Three residents from two suites were displaced as a result of the fire.

The incident required a response from about a dozen firefighters, who were on scene for about two hours.

There were no injuries reported.


Have a story tip? Email: joti.grewal@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

firefirefightersLangleyLangley Township

Be Among The First To Know

Create a free account today, and start receiving free newsletters.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up