Artist rendering of the planned Rapid Bus service over the new Port Mann Bridge

New Port Mann Bridge to open Dec. 3: Union

Preparations underway for launch of Rapid Bus transit service on Highway 1 corridor

The new Port Mann Bridge may officially open with eight lanes on Dec. 3, although transportation ministry officials won’t confirm the date circulated by the bus drivers’ union.

Canadian Auto Workers local 111 president Don MacLeod said the union was notified drivers will be required to run the new Highway 1 Rapid Bus service, which is promised to be in place on opening day of the new bridge.

“My understanding is the first Monday in December,” he said.

A ministry spokesman said the bridge official opening date will be announced in the coming weeks, giving drivers enough notice of the traffic pattern change and the date tolling will start.

There have been no difficulties with construction and work remains on schedule for an eight-lane opening sometime in December as planned, the spokesman said.

The remaining two of 10 lanes would open about a year later because of subsequent work to dismantle the old bridge and its approaches.

The bridge will be free for the first week it’s open before half-price tolls of $1.50 per standard vehicle kick in.

The discount from regular $3 tolls ends March 1 for drivers who don’t register with the Treo electronic tolling system by then.

Those who do register lock in the discount for one year and those who sign up before December also get a credit for 20 free crossings.

The new bridge is to restore transit service to the corridor, which hasn’t seen a Coast Mountain bus in decades due to congestion.

TransLink kept the planned Port Mann bus service in the latest version of its 2013 plan in September, even though mayors have vowed to rescind a $30-million property tax hike and press the province to replace it with a different source.

“It is TransLink’s intention to have this service in place for when the bridge opens, but we do not have an opening date yet,” spokesperson Debbie Parhar said. “We are getting prepared but there have been no assignments or driver sign up yet.”

The planned Rapid Bus service will be scaled back from what was originally envisioned due to declining TransLink revenue.

The buses were to run over the new bridge every 10 minutes all day – now they’ll only run every 10 minutes in the morning and afternoon peaks and be cut to every 30 minutes at off-peak times.

And it will only go from Langley to Braid Station, not to Lougheed Station as previously planned.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Vancouver Giants to stream 2007 Memorial Cup championship game Saturday night

Giants versus Medicine Hat Tigers can be viewed on YouTube at 7 p.m.

Fraser Valley Regional Library branches offer curbside pick up

After two and a half months of being closed, people can once again check books out of the library

Nearly 6,200 Langley students set to return to school June 1

School district shared COVID-19 update during board meeting

Langley hospice hosts experts on planning for your future health care needs

The annual advance care planning workshops are an online format due to COVID-19

Award-winning gospel singer Carolyn Arends releases COVID-inspired song

‘After This’ blends footage of Arends performance with video of residents and empty Langley streets

11 new COVID-19 cases in B.C. as top doc urges caution amid ‘encouraging’ low rates

Dr. Bonnie Henry also announced that two care home outbreaks would be declared over

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

Thanks for helping the Aldergrove Star to continue its mission to provide trusted local news

Surrey mayor’s party under fire for ‘sickening’ tweet accusing northern B.C. RCMP of murder

Mayor Doug McCallum says tweet, Facebook post ‘sent out by unauthorized person’

Father’s Day Walk Run for prostate cancer will be virtual event this year throughout B.C.

The annual fundraiser for Prostate Cancer Foundation BC has brought in $2.5 million since 1999

Dr. Bonnie Henry announces official ban on overnight kids’ camps this summer

New ban comes after talking with other provincial health officials across the country, Henry says

Senior man in hospital after unprovoked wolf attack near Prince Rupert

Conservation officers are on site looking for the wolf

VIDEO: NASA astronauts blast off into space on SpaceX rocket

Marks NASA’s first human spaceflight launched from U.S. soil in nearly a decade

‘I knew what he wanted’: Kootenay man spends hours in tree as black bear patrols below

Francis Levasseur is no stranger to the outdoors, but a recent run-in with a bear caused quite a scare

B.C.’s police watchdog probing death of Richmond man in alleged shoplifting incident

Independent Investigations Office of B.C. is asking any witnesses to come forward

Most Read