An Aldergrove man escaped unhurt when he accidentally spilled paint thinner on the stove of a travel trailer on which he had been carrying out repairs.
The trailer, valued at $10,000, was destroyed.
The fire occurred at about 3:30 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 13, in the 26100 block of 58 Ave. Heat from the flames melted the siding of a four bay garage, causing about $5,000 damage, said Bruce Ferguson, spokesman for the Township fire department.
There were no injuries in another fire that occurred three hours later in the 7300 block of 199 Street when an occupant left oil on the stove.
It ignited, setting fire to kitchen cabinets. Damage could reach $10,000, Ferguson said.
Thirty minutes past midnight on Wednesday morning, Aug. 15, a piece of machinery that either malfunctioned or overheated caused a fire at Surrey Cedar mill, in the 23800 block of Fraser Highway. The fire worked through sawdust and got into scrap on the floor of a shed, working its way into a pile of lumber.
The building’s only sprinkler was activated and extinguished the fire, Ferguson said.
“If the sprinkler had malfunctioned it would have been a totally different outcome,” he said.
No employees were on site, and damage was kept to less than $1,000.