A police officer examines a motorcycle after a female stunt driver working on the movie ‘Deadpool 2’ died after a crash on set, in Vancouver, B.C., on Monday Aug. 14, 2017. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)

WorkSafeBC details safety violations in stuntwoman’s death on ‘Deadpool 2’ set in Vancouver

Five safety violations found by production company in 2017 filming of action movie

A Vancouver-based production company failed to adequately assess safety risks, provide necessary headgear and ensure a safe set during the 2017 filming of Deadpool 2 when a stuntwoman was killed, according to WorkSafeBC.

TCF Vancouver Productions Ltd. failed to meet five requirements under the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation and Workers Compensation Act after Joi (SJ) Harris was killed in a motorcycle stunt during filming in downtown Vancouver, according to a report released Wednesday.

According to witnesses at the time, Harris had been rehearsing the stunt near the Shaw Tower, riding slowly down a set of stairs and stopping when she reached the road at the bottom.

But when the scene was ready to film, the motorcycle had picked up speed and crossed the street, narrowly hit a pedestrian, and crashed into a window of a building.

The production company failed to properly assess the motorcycle, as well conduct a stunt safety inspection check – both required by its own health and safety program, the report said.

It also didn’t provide Harris with new-worker orientation or proper supervision, and did not set up barriers to prevent her from leaving the set perimeter, the report said.

WATCH: ‘Deadpool 2’ stuntwoman who died was pioneering motorcycle racer

WATCH: Ryan Reynolds ‘heartbroken’ after death of stunt driver on Deadpool 2 set

WorkSafeBC said the main purpose of its report is to identify a cause and contributing factors of the incident to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

A penalty against the production company is under consideration.


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Buildings demolished in Fort Langley core

The site at Glover and Church street has been proposed for eventual development

‘Suspicious’ fire at Langley property listed for $3M

Invesitgators were at the scene Tuesday morning

Aldergrove drive-in theatre appeals COVID-19 concession rules, 50-car limit

With 50 cars and the removal of concession sales, drive-in owner says theatre might have to close

Langley pubs, restaurants can expand patios

Council approved a plan for more spread-out outdoor dining

Fire-damaged Villa Fontana to be torn down

Owners of Langley City building considering replacement

Dr. Bonnie Henry given new name in B.C. First Nation ceremony: ‘one who is calm among us’

The provincial health officer was honoured in a May 22 ceremony at elementary school in Hazelton

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

Thanks for helping the Aldergrove Star to continue its mission to provide trusted local news

28 soldiers test positive for COVID-19 after working in Ontario care homes

Nearly 1,700 military members are working in ong-term care homes overwhelmed by COVID-19

B.C. poison control sees spike in adults, children accidentally ingesting hand sanitizer

Hand sanitizer sales and usage have gone up sharply amid COVID-19 pandemic

B.C. man with Alberta plates gets car keyed and aggressive note

Some out-of-province people are finding hostile reception due to COVID-19 worries

COVID-19: B.C. grants aim to stabilize sexual assault recovery programs

$10 million fund not yet ready to take applications

B.C. mom’s drug-pricing petition on behalf of son garners thousands of signatures

Petition geared to gaining access to new medicines drew support of Chilliwack-Hope MP Mark Strahl

Gabriel Klein’s sentencing delayed until September

Man convicted of killing Abbotsford high school student Letisha Reimer was set for June

‘Paralyzed by fear’: B.C. woman details anxiety, grief at Italian relief hospital

Sheila Vicic spent two months in Italy as the country grappled with COVID-19

Most Read