The Aldergrove Elks lodge is celebrating its 90th anniversary here this Saturday, June 22, with children’s and family activities and a dinner and dance.
The day will begin food, vendors and games from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Elks promise “lots of fun for everyone” and all are welcome to join the activities.
The activities will be held at the back of the former 1912 Aldergrove Elementary School site, 27032 Fraser Highway.
Their dinner and dance gets underway at 6 p.m. inside the school’s gymnasium. It will feature a 1920s theme with an 18-piece big band, gambling, silent auction, and prizes for the best dressed couple, man and woman, along with a 50-50 draw. The cost is $25 and tickets are available from Jackie, call 604-607-0160.
The Aldergrove Elks Lodge #66 was instituted on June 30, 1923, when Provincial Deputy Grand Exalted Ruler, Brother Al Davis presided over 37 members who received the obligation. Brother Sam Campbell served as Aldergrove Elks’ first Exalted Ruler.
The original meeting was held in the former Hamre Hall, and two years later the lodge had built its own hall, which opened on Nov. 3, 1925 at the corner of Fraser Highway and 273 Street. This hall was replaced with a modern concrete block building in the early 1970s. The Elks sold the property a few years ago and conducted meetings at the Aldergrove Legion hall. They currently rent the former Aldergrove Elementary School site for their purposes.
Since its inception the Elks lodge has provided Christmas cheer hampers to the needy, as well as funding for Elks children’s charities and their Elks Children’s Camps such as Camp Elkgrove at Aldergrove Regional Park.