Abbotsford Fire Rescue personnel attended this home on Downes Road Sunday morning.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue personnel attended this home on Downes Road Sunday morning.

Fire destroys 86-year-old Abbotsford home

Resident, 88, had lived since he was two years old in the Downes Road home built by his family.



A chimney fire in Abbotsford on Sunday morning destroyed a home that an 88-year-old man had lived in since he was two years old.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to the blaze on Downes Road, near Ross Road, at about 10:15 a.m. When crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the attic.

Assistance Fire Chief Jeff Adams said the fire began in the basement and spread up through the chimney.

“The home is heavily damaged, and not sure if it’s going to be repairable or not … It’s too early to tell, but it doesn’t look good,” he said.

The homeowners did not have insurance, he added.

Emergency services is helping the family find alternate accommodation and will assist them in determining their next steps, Adams said.

No further details were available at this time.

 

 

 

 

Be Among The First To Know

Create a free account today, and start receiving free newsletters.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up