After a wet June, it’s hard to believe that anything would burn in the outdoors.
But when someone threw fireworks at a 200 foot long hedge last week (June 20), the trees caught fire. A 40 foot stretch of 18-foot high trees were destroyed, said Pat Walker of the Township’s fire department.
The incident occurred at an Aldergrove townhouse complex at 27411 28 Ave.
Luckily the flames did not reach any of the buildings.
“We are pretty fortunate that we got it under control as fast as we did. We were quite concerned that it could have gone to the residences,” he added.
Later the same day, workers who were welding and cutting as they dismantled a building at 8956 264 St., in Glen Valley, accidentally set fire to the structure.
“We had it contained within a half hour,” Walker said, adding that the buildings were being taken down to make way for the construction of an off-load chip facility.
Walker said that the fires should serve to demonstrate that despite the rain, things dry up fast.
He added that apart from these two fires, Township crews have been kept busy with minor brush fires and a number of medical emergencies.