Skip to content

Jarrod Bacon testifies to drug addiction during time of undercover operation

The cross exam of Jarrod Bacon of Abbotsford continued in B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver.
Jarrod Bacon is seen at a 2009 court appearance in Surrey.

by Kelsey Klassen, Contributor

While maintaining his position that he had never planned to purchase 100 kilograms of cocaine from a police agent named G.L., Jarrod Bacon lashed out at the media and the police from the stand for what he dubbed a smear campaign.

“G.L. was lying because police were paying him money to try and make my family look bad. They are doing a relentless media campaign smear to try to stain my parents, when they are good, hard-working people,” an agitated Bacon testified in BC Supreme Court in Vancouver on Tuesday.

Bacon also insisted that journalists who wrote things he deemed untrue about his family should lose their licence to report. Often fanning his red prison shirt and shrugging his shoulders, he continued to defend his parents: “You want to talk bad about me or my brother, that’s all good because I signed up for that. But they are good, hard-working normal people. They had nothing to do with this whatsoever.”

Bacon, 28, and co-accused Wayne Scott, 55, were charged with one count of conspiracy to traffic cocaine in November 2009 after an undercover operation by the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit. Bacon claimed the police hired G.L., a friend of Scott, just to target him and maintained that Scott had no part in his robbery plan.

“It’s pretty gross that the police targeted a working guy (Scott) to get at me.” Bacon said of his former girlfriend’s father, and grandfather to Bacon’s son. “I feel bad for Wayne. He is a victim in this.”

Bacon testified that he believes the police were attempting to keep him in jail with the undercover operation because he was about to walk free on previous weapons charges.

“They paid this guy (G.L.) an obscene amount of money so he could retire on a beach somewhere.”

Bacon admitted he concocted a plan to forcibly steal a 10 kilogram sample of cocaine from G.L., but explained that the recorded conversations between G.L. and Bacon about the 100 kilogram shipment and having a backer who could put up millions were necessary to convince G.L. that Bacon wouldn’t rob him.

“The police knew I was going to rob (G.L.) a hundred per cent without a doubt and that’s why they never produced any drugs – because (G.L.) didn’t want to get his frickin’ jaw broken,” Bacon said.

Bacon testified that he was a drug addict and unstable at the time of the CFSEU operation. Bacon, who was out on bail and living at his parents’ house in Abbotsford, admitted he would regularly breach his bail conditions out of indifference and in an effort to annoy police.

“When I was on drugs I would breach the conditions whenever I wanted,” he testified. “When you are injecting steroids and you are snorting Oxycontins, you don’t care about anyone’s feelings. You just care about doing more pills and that’s it.”

He admitted both he and occasionally his former girlfriend Carly would have dealers deliver pills to Scott’s home in 2009, where she was living with their young son.

“I was on drugs but I was also trying to maintain a normal life,” Bacon explained. “I was wired to oxys really badly in August. I was a slave to the pills. It’s a disgusting habit.”

Bacon said that G.L. would show up during these visits at Scott’s house and that’s when he got the idea to rob him.

“When he was pressing, saying I’m going to be in Abbotsford, I can get you drugs and show them to you, I was like OK, perfect, this guy is getting robbed.”

The trial continues.

Bacon is one of three Abbotsford brothers who have been linked to the Red Scorpions gang, which battled other groups – mainly, the United Nations Gang – for control of the drug trade in 2009, resulting in a bloody war erupting on Lower Mainland streets.

Older brother Jonathan, 30, was killed last August in a drive-by shooting in Kelowna.

Younger brother Jamie, 26, is in prison awaiting trial in the slayings of six people, including two innocent men, in a Surrey apartment building in October 2007. He was charged with one count of first-degree murder and one count of conspiracy to commit murder.