Public schools were closed Tuesday in Langley, the result of deadlocked contract talks between the B.C. Teachers Federation and the province.
An attempt by mediator Vince Ready to resolve the dispute ended in failure last week.
“I just see no basis at this point for meaningful negotiations or mediation, so I’ve just declared an impasse,” Ready said. “I just don’t see an agreement here at this point.”
The 40,000 public school teachers went on strike in June.
Langley School District superintendent Suzanne Hoffman issued a letter to parents on Monday, and said in the letter it is likely there will be no classes this week.
Here is her letter:
As you will have heard through the media, mediator Vince Ready has declared an impasse in the negotiations between the provincial government and the British Columbia Teachers’ Federation. The District anticipates that Langley schools will continue to be behind picket lines on Tuesday and quite probably for the remainder of the week. I realize that this news is incredibly disappointing as this is the time of year when families and school district staff eagerly anticipate and prepare for the beginning of a new school year.
Tomorrow, principals and vice-principals will be in schools in the event you need to reach them or if you have questions of them. They will not be in a position to supervise students so I respectfully request that parents do not send their children to school.
As more information becomes available it will be shared with you; parents are also encouraged to continue monitoring the District’s website and social media sites for further updates.
I look forward to writing the letter that shares positive news about the upcoming school year and the educational opportunities awaiting your children.
Superintendent of Schools
The school district’s website is sd35.bc.ca.