Township council has asked staff to look into improvements at the interesection where 11-year-old Colton Nelson was killed in 2011.

Township to take second look at ‘scary’ intersection

Corner of 256 and Robertson Crescent claimed the life of an 11-year-old boy in 2011

Several months ago, Councillor Bob Long urged his Township council colleagues to support installing an overhead flashing red light at the intersection of Robertson Crescent and 256 Street, where a young Aldergrove hockey player was killed in February, 2011.

Staff had already advised that based on traffic volumes, existing signage, visibility and collision history, new safety measures were not warranted.

The intersection was left out of a report presented to council last month. Instead, staff recommended installing overhead lights at the intersections of 232 Street and 56 Avenue, 40 Avenue and 216 Street, 56 Avenue and 240 Street, and 240 Street and Robertson Crescent.

Long, Mayor Jack Froese and Councillor Kim Richter had earlier in the year expressed concern about the safety of Robertson Crescent and 256 Street, calling it “scary.”

On Sept. 17, Richter commented that it is “an odd, uncomfortable intersection” with sight lines that are not good.

“This is a very dangerous intersection and it needs lights,” she said.

“You only have to drive through there once to know it’s a creepy intersection.”

But Councillor Grant Ward urged council not to go against a staff recommendation.

“I don’t see it’s warranted. We are not engineers on council and I’m prepared to back up our professional staff,” he said.

In June, Long said that council should do all it can to make the intersection with 256 Street safer, Long said.

“A light is very inexpensive compared to a life saved. What is the cost of a life?” he had asked at that meeting.

Last month, Long read from a newspaper article: “A 12 year old boy was killed instantly when the vehicle proceeded through the intersection at 256th and Robertson Crescent.”

Council supported his motion to add the intersection, with only Ward opposed.

The project to expected to be completed before the end of the year, engineering department head Ramin Seifi said on Oct. 23.

Just Posted

VIDEO: Flames consume small building at Langley Events Centre

Thursday afternoon demo shows the importance of having sprinklers installed

Langley program helps youth find their employment niche

The first session of Skills to Success youth employment program wrapped up and a second has started.

Charges laid in 2016 Mission crash that killed Langley teenager

Lidia Ramos died when the car she was riding in slipped off a logging road in heavy rain

Two Langley fire trucks collide on black ice

The fire trucks were being used to block vehicles from icy hill when they started sliding

March 3 ‘hoot-ennany’ at Campbell Valley Park free for all ages

Family friendly event features skull and feather displays, activities, crafts and games

B.C. Games open with Olympic touch

The 2018 B.C. Winter Games kicked off in Kamloops

B.C. ski cross racer wins Olympic gold

Kelowna’s Kelsey Serwa wins the gold medal in thrilling fashion in PyeongChang

More snow expected on the Coquihalla, Highway 3

Environment Canada says five to 10 centimetres will come down between Friday and Saturday mornings

New charges against ex-Trump campaign associates

More charges were laid Thursday against President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman and his business associate

Man accused in death of Winnipeg teen Tina Fontaine not guilty

Raymond Cormier was accused of killing Indigenous 15-year-old and dumping her body in the Red River

Okanagan real estate agents brace for speculation tax impact

“There’s a real potential for a domino effect to hurt the market in Kelowna.”

Alberta drops B.C. wine boycott, Notley says Horgan ‘blinked’ on pipeline

B.C. government announces court reference on proposed diluted bitumen restriction

Aldergrove Kodiaks take 7-5 win over Flames: ACTION PHOTOS

Kodiaks stave off elimination in game four of PJHL playoffs series

Lane closures on Alex Fraser, Port Mann bridges considered to avoid ‘ice bombs’

Province spent $5 million clearing both bridges last years

Most Read